Monday, February 7, 2011

Music Monday 1 - Galneryus


As you can probably tell from the title, today is the first of a segment I'm gonna call "Music Monday." Every Monday I'll talk about some random band or album, sometimes anime/video game related, sometimes not. I listen to a little bit of every genre so I will try to diversify things.

I'll start off with Galneryus, a Japanese metal band. I discovered them through an anime called RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~. I stopped watching it halfway through for some reason, which is a shame because it was really quite good. Both the ending and opening themes were preformed by Galneryus, but it was the opening "Alsatia" which really caught my attention.

Galneryus generally plays a more Neo-Classical metal style than this song, as I found out when I purchased their album Advance to the Fall. Still this song has remained one of my favorites, though I enjoy every track on the album. One track in particular, Dream Place , stands out with a segement after the solo that sounds suspiciously like Cannon Rock.

Galneryus' guitarist Syu is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. He did a series of instructional videos with Young Guitars I've been trying to get my hands on. Here is a sample of the video, an instrumental cover of their song, My Last Farewell.

Honestly, the only possible downside to this band is their vocalist. Maybe I'm just used to hearing "engrish" in anime, but I will say he does a better job of it than most voice actors I've heard. Anyway, if you like metal or shred guitar, check them out.

I Hope you enjoyed this music blog, I can see that at least two of you wanted one. I'll hopefully be back with another video game blog tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Hm. I didn't think I would like them as much as I did! Good post, sir! :D

    Going to be listening to this for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dream Place sounds pretty sweet, actually. Will check them out (when I got the disk space, need to do some cleaning)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slightly unexpected, but welcome nonetheless. Thanks for the musical journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some pretty sweet music... Oh! I forgot I'm trying to bring 80s catchphrases back..

    That music was pretty boss.

    ReplyDelete